1.17.2012

Roof House Subtractive






For my subtractive book i approached it as if I were to hand my book off to a complete stranger and by the decisions I’ve made in the book he/she is able to tell what the architect was trying to accomplish. First and foremost I flipped the book around making a connection to traditional Japanese style of writing where books are read from right to left. Second, I made references to the skylights of the roof to show the importance of those portals since the roof was the main focal point of the whole house. In order not to make it very obvious and to avoid making a “roof plan,” I made all the skylights the same size focusing only on their location on the roof relative to one another. Next I decided to recreate the slope of the roof so I subtracted just enough pages to get the same pitch.
To really emphasize the fact that the house is on the roof, hence the name of the house “The Roof House,” I glues the pages on the roof instead of letting the pages sit and be held down by gravity. I then cut out pages to scale of the functional spaces inside the house. One characteristic of traditional Japanese architecture is have one central living room as the main focus of the house. To show this I placed all of the functional spaces I had cut out before and placed them in a circle around the main living room. I used the binding of the book as the private side of the house since the house does have an elevation with no windows that is where the sloped roof begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment