1.16.2012

Book: diagram.

The Tree House is relatively simple. One room, four lightly defined spaces, permeable indoor/ outdoor relationship, storage space as far as the eye can see.

In attempting to abstract the already abstracted dwelling space created by Mount Fuji Studio, I concentrated on the main built elements of the project. Namely, the central network of frames, their stair stepping movement that results in varied ceiling height, and the introduction of aperture into the relatively box like structure.

Analyzing the book itself, I tried to draw connections between the Tree House and the medium with which I was to diagram it- both fill up a rectangular space and both have the ability to appear solid while in fact being hollow.

In this project I also attempted to introduce new modes of construction into a relatively mainlined object just as Japanese architecture uses traditional construction methods on modern concept houses. Sadly, books tend to be flammable and thus catch on fire when introduced to a laser cutter. However, this experiment allowed me to find a new method of cutting the book apart in order to better hand cut my incisions into the pages.

The first cut I made was a rectangular “viewport” into the cover of the book. Similar to the roof access door/window loft, this cut allowed for a window into the larger open space found within the house. From there I sought to expand upon the idea of repeating parallel frames circling about a central core – in this instance, the books’ binding. Originally I was hoping to literally curve the spine of the book around itself to mimic the curve of the rectilinear frames. However in doing so, I found that the entire book became structurally unsound. Apparently experimentation for curiosity’s sake is not such a great idea. Lesson learned.


No comments:

Post a Comment