1.22.2012

Amassed

The box is merely a representation, a place holder if you will, of potential program.

In each of my three schemes, I am not trying so much to create a very specific program, but rather, to begin to form an overall “blob shape” that will later be pushed and pulled, injected with form, and begin to become the Japantown library.

Ideation number one: the movement of screens. I first attempted to look at both the building and its massing from the programmed rules of sliding screens. Ultimately, this was not very successful, but nonetheless I did prove interesting. Basically I created smaller courtyards and spaces where bridges might span from one area to the next. In section the building was meant to take on a screened in effect allowing views into the inner open areas, but clearly defining where building and road met.


Ideation number two: grouped unit. After first separating all of the buildings I then flipped a complete 180 degrees (just for the simple experimentation) and began to look at the program as one solid grouping. In this way, the program ceases to be isolated islands and becomes a continent amidst the “sea” of the site. The most interesting aspect of this massing model was the entrance. I situated a “public space” tower at the most open corner of the site, creating a single access point for the entire building.

Ideation number three: garden bridge. At this point in my process I began to look at Japanese gardens- more specifically the bridges that run throughout these gardens. I tried to view the five components of program as isolated islands, that didn’t work. I then began to use the idea of connecting bridge to create the overall form for the building. In this way I was drawing from traditional layout, while giving those rules a new purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment